Saturday, April 10, 2010

First Post

Not that I expect much out of this, or that I'm even sure that I have time to devote to this blog.

I decided to start this blog based on what I see as a missing need for a place to discuss how divorce affects men in the Mormon universe. Too often, on other Mormon blogs, I find that men are marginalized and ridiculed and told to go away. Women are given a sympathetic hearing, and reassured it's not their fault.

Everyone in divorce deserves sympathy and understanding, but this reflexive "it's always the man's fault" and "we don't want to hear from the male's perspective" is more than annoying. It's downright un-Christ like and annoying to boot.

Given that women do that walking away, often in cases where there is no abuse, I think there's a real need for more discussion on how this affects men, and how men are often the wronged party.

Of course, I will talk about my own experiences, one reason I don't use my real name and I'm going to generic-ize many details. Despite it all, I still think of my ex-wife as an overall decent person who has become warped by the process of divorce. I will try to avoid casting blame (while acknowledging that both parties are always at fault to some degree or another), but I don't want to be seen as attacking anyone in particular or trying to prove myself right and her and her parents wrong.

Anyway, let's see how it goes. I'm going to allow comments for now, but I sure hope there aren't too many trolls out there. From my internet searches, there is clearly a lot of anger directed at Mormon men over divorce, but very little understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment